Rea received her initial training as a nurse at the Royal Alexandra Hospital School of Nursing, and later completed her Bachelor of Nursing through Athabasca University where she graduated with Great Distinction. She then completed a Masters of Counselling degree through Campus Alberta, and convocated with honours at the University of Calgary. Rea holds dual registration as a psychologist and nurse in both the College of Alberta Psychologists (CAP) and College & Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA) respectively; and is also a member of EMDR Canada. She is registered with the Psychologists' Association of Alberta (PAA), and the Canadian Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology (CRHSPP), a national credentialing body. She joins approximately 3200 psychologist members across Canada who have met supplementary training and experience in psychological health care, beyond the criteria required by provincial or territorial licensure. As a psychologist, Rea aspires to the highest ethical standards outlined in the Canadian Psychologist's Association Code of Ethics.
Professional experience in nursing includes (but is not limited to) practice in the following areas: Neonatal Intensive Care, Psychiatry, Geriatric Rehabilitation, Adult Homecare, and Community Mental Health as a crisis intervention therapist.
Rea has extensive experience as a psychologist in both EAP and private practice. She assists clients to achieve optimal psychological, spiritual, and physical health in the following areas of concern:
- Childhood and Adult Trauma and Abuse - including Crisis Intervention and Stress Management
- Adult Survivors of Alcoholic Parents
- Depression, Anxiety, Postpartum Depression, OCD, Phobias, and other
- Addictions/ Relapse Prevention/ Dual Diagnoses
- Chronic Illness and Pain Management
- Couples and Family Relationship Issues/Family of Origin Issues
- Eating Disorders/Weight Preoccupation
- Grief and Loss - including pets
- Attachment Disorder
- Academic and Career Issues
- Performance Enhancement in Athletics, the Performing Arts, and Business
Rea is an advanced level practitioner in EMDR and Brainspotting, is certified in Crisis Intervention Stress Management, and is a certified Reiki Master. She is highly familiar with the multitude of resources available in the community and through Alberta Health Services in the event that a referral to additional support is necessary.